AI woes

Report problems with JoinFS.
Kea

AI woes

Postby Kea » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:21 pm

Hi everyone, hoping someone might have an answer for my troubles here, and apologies in advance if the fault is because I've not done something simple at my end...

With the latest iteration of JoinFS (and possibly the earlier release too), we've experienced problems substituting other player aircraft with AIs off the list. We're running an identical list of AIs, in a separate SimObjects folder (yes, they've been scanned by JoinFS), but anytime we try to sub the other player's aircraft with an AI off the list, the other player's aircraft goes orange on the Aircraft monitor list and disappears from the sim.

If we sub with another actual aircraft from the SimObjects/Airplanes folder, no problems.

This extends to placing AI aircraft, such as tankers or Bears, via CCP - if they are created as AI, they won't show to anyone other than the host, but if they are created as actual aircraft, they show up fine for everyone.

If anyone else is having no problem subbing and using AI aircraft, then it must be an issue with our setups, and I'll go back and do more testing, so I'd be interested to know if anyone else is experiencing the same issues, or indeed if it's just me.

By the way, I'm running Win10, I have another system connecting to me running Win7, in case that makes a difference.

Thanks all.

Peter
Site Admin

Re: AI woes

Postby Peter » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:20 am

Hi,

thanks for posting. I have heard from others that there is a problem with the substitution. In fact they also said that it started to happen in the last few versions.

Are you using P3D? Has anyone had the same problem in FSX:Steam?

Do you have a specific example where it always fails. For example, two users A and B, A substitutes model X for Y etc.

I've modified the monitor output in the coming version 1.2.9 to give more details about inserted aircraft, which I'm hoping will help to identify the problem.

Peter

Kea

Postby Kea » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:57 am

Hi Peter

We're both using FSX Acceleration. We've tried a few combos, which is how we figured it was only affecting AI aircraft. If I am flying my VRS Bug (which my wingman doesn't have), if he tries to sub me with a MAIW F-18E from his AI Aircraft folder, I go orange on his list. We both have our AI aircraft sitting in another folder under SimObjects. If he subs me with an FSXBA legacy Hornet from the Airplanes folder, we're fine, or even if he subs me with the VRS AI F-18E tanker from his TacPack (which is in the Misc folder) - that seems to work too - although I'll want to try that again to be sure on this latest version.

We've also noticed, when tanking, if he subs the tanker I'm broadcasting for one off his list, then when I come off the hose, I turn into a duplicate of his tanker - so he ends up chasing two tankers and not knowing which one is me. A disconnect/re-connect with JoinFS fixes that problem though - perhaps we should try a disconnect/re-connect with our other subs...

Actually, having now typed this out, I'm just going to make sure my wingman has his AI Aircraft folder still mapped in his fsx.cfg.

Kea

Postby Kea » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:47 am

Further, extensive testing, now using 1.2.8, showed that only the host can sub another player from the AI Aircraft folder. If the client tries to sub the host from their AI list, the host goes red and vanishes. Unless the client subs with an actual simobject from the Airplanes folder or the Misc folder (like the VRS AI F18E Tanker).

AIs spawned via CCP and broadcast by the host not visible to client, but actual simobject from the Airplanes folder is.

Regarding the tanker business, it seems only if the client subs the tanker for something else, then everyone becomes that tanker at some point (to the client), unless they reconnect to JoinFS, then everything is fine again.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the non-standard location of AI aircraft within an added "AI Aircraft" folder in the SimObjects directory (confirmed that folder is declared in the fsx.cfg file for everyone).

I think now that we know that, we can work around it somewhat, but might be of interest for you Peter. Again, not sure if this actually affects anyone else or just something to do with our setup. By the way, the FSCAI addon works great across JoinFS! Excellent job on this platform.
Thanks Peter.

Peter
Site Admin

Postby Peter » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:50 am

Can I just check, did you add the AI folder to the 'Additional Folders' box when doing a model scan from 'File|Scan For Models'?

Alternatively, in the 'Scan For Models' window you should see a list of sub folders which you can tick to scan. Does your AI folder appear in that list?

Peter

Kea

Postby Kea » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:02 pm

Sorry Peter, been away.
Yes, we both have the AI Aircraft folder scanned (checked in "Additional Folders").
I see a new version is out - will test again with that and see how we go. I'll chuck an AI model from the AI folder into the main Airplane folder too and see if that changes anything.

Kea

Postby Kea » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:15 am

We managed to do some further testing with 1.2.10. Results:

Re-scanned objects, including AI Aircraft folder. All good.

Client (in FSXBA legacy Hornet) tried to sub host (VRS Super) with AI aircraft, had following error message in monitor and host went red on Aircraft list:
"Failed to inject aircraft 221 : User=3973, ID=4294967295, Sub=MAIW_NBAI_FA18E_USN_NJ_VFA-122_165539"

Host tried to sub client with the same aircraft, no error message, client stayed green but no visual model in sim (JoinFS saying everything was working but sim showed no model for the client).

Tried using "real" aircraft from the Airplanes folder, no issues with anyone substituting.

Tried using an AI aircraft placed into the Airplanes folder (re-started JoinFS and re-scanned objects) - same behaviour as if it were in the AI folder above.

I then tried, as client, to sub the FSXBA Hornet with an AI A380 from the AI folder. Again, green on the aircraft list, no visual model BUT, I could hear the A380 and saw a whopping great shadow (in the shape of an A380) AND could see the A380 reflected in the water! but no actual visual model! Bizarre. My monitors reads:
05-Nov-17 19:44:15 Aircraft injected VFA001 : User=56080, ID=1948, Sub=Avalon MRAI A380 Qantas VH-OQA
05-Nov-17 19:44:15 Added user 56080
05-Nov-17 19:44:16 Connection established 56080

So not sure what's happening here. On another note, my buddy's system has been crashing frequently (over water it seems) so he's going to be doing a clean re-install of everything in the next couple of weeks. If that fixes these problems I'll let you know!

Return to “Bugs”