An Observation - Not Visible on Re-Start After FSX CTD

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
Dan-TXHills

An Observation - Not Visible on Re-Start After FSX CTD

Post by Dan-TXHills »

I have observed this twice over the past couple of months so believe it is a true phenomenon - only two of us flying on a private session so I am not sure what would happen if one person has an FSX CTD with regard to what others would see if there are several people in the session. Note that in both cases I was the one that had the CTD and was not the one who created the session.

If FSX crashes to desktop while connected to JoinFS, on re-start of FSX Join FS shows the correct number of connections (2 in our case) to account for the two of us that are in the session, But, the CTD aircraft (my aircraft) cannot be seen nor was I able to see the other aircraft. Disconnecting and reconnecting from the session does not fix the issue but closing JoinFS and re-opening the connection application then re-connecting does fix things. Once true re-connection is established everything works as expected.

Now that we know this it is no big deal to close JoinFS and re-start it then re-connect. CTD does happen but it is pretty unusual for me to have it happen more than a two or three times a year which makes this practically a non-issue for me. Just thought I would pass this in case others have had the same experience and are looking for a solution.

Dan
Peter
Site Admin

Re: An Observation - Not Visible on Re-Start After FSX CTD

Post by Peter »

When FSX CTD did you notice the Simulator button on JoinFS turn red? I suspect it would have done. Simply click the Simulator button and JoinFS will reconnect to the restarted FSX and turn green. I'm sure that's the answer.

It's actually changed functionality to the original JoinFS which constantly tried to reconnect to FSX. It no longer does it automatically due to Windows resource usage, so you have to manually reconnect now.

Peter
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

Peter -

Nope - didn't notice that. Not sure why I did not think of that. Will check it the next time this happens.

Thanks,

Dan
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

No worries, Dan. I've actually done it myself several times since it changed. And I wrote the thing. :roll:

Peter