Auto join feature

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
ATC Roo

Auto join feature

Postby ATC Roo » Thu May 04, 2017 10:17 pm

I like the new auto join feature in 1.1.16.

How does JoinFS know which hub is the closest one?

I ask because as you know I run a hub not attached to a sim.
So I'm thinking that may hub doesn't have a location?

Is there anything I should set (ATC mode maybe) for my hub to be available to auto joiners?

Peter
Site Admin

Re: Auto join feature

Postby Peter » Fri May 05, 2017 8:31 am

Hi Roo,

good question. I'll have to add this to the manual.

As it's a really nice feature I don't want to go into any detail about how it works, I'm sure you'll understand :) . However, if you have ATC mode enabled on the hub and you specify the airport code (box turns green), then the hub will be included in the Auto Join. Having said that, in the current version I don't think that part is working correctly. If not, I'll get it sorted out.

Peter

ATC Roo

Postby ATC Roo » Fri May 05, 2017 9:28 am

Peter wrote:Hi Roo,

good question. I'll have to add this to the manual.

As it's a really nice feature I don't want to go into any detail about how it works, I'm sure you'll understand :) . However, if you have ATC mode enabled on the hub and you specify the airport code (box turns green), then the hub will be included in the Auto Join. Having said that, in the current version I don't think that part is working correctly. If not, I'll get it sorted out.

Peter

Totally understand not going into detail as like you said it's a great feature.
I think I have an idea which is what lead to the question.

Would it be possible to add an extra text box for hubs not connected to a sim.
I ask because the map and certain programs show an active ATC.
So if every hub owner started enabling ATC as their location, there would be numerous controller positions showing that are not really there.

I know some hubs do this now and I see around 4 regular ATC.
Sometimes I think great, I'll have a flight there and there's an ATC active.
Only to find out its not. :(

ATC Roo

Postby ATC Roo » Fri May 05, 2017 9:39 am

And just to complicate things.....
I tend to do that, sorry. :)

Scenario.
Let's say The Bristol Flight Sim Group run a hub for their members and have an active ATC.

Humberside Flyers do the same.

I want to fly from NJ to GD.

At which point do I disappear from the Humberside controllers scope and show on the Bristol controllers scope?

Ie when should the controller hand me over to the other?

Scenario 2.

Both ATC are connected to their groups hub.

But the Humberside controller has decided to open Cardiff.

Will he see me if I Depart or Arrive at Cardiff?
Because my aircraft position would be closer to the Bristol Hub and not the Humberside hub the Cardiff controller is connected too.

ATC Roo

Postby ATC Roo » Fri May 05, 2017 10:00 am

Last one.... for today anyway ;)

Scenario 3.

My group is conducting an air display event.

We don't want random planes suddenly appearing and flying through our display.

Can we make our hub not available to auto joiners/private?

A tick box maybe?

I'll stop now. :)

On another note I'm 1 step closer with ES.

Peter
Site Admin

Postby Peter » Fri May 05, 2017 12:04 pm

ATC Roo wrote:Last one.... for today anyway ;)

You're definitely on a roll, it would be a shame to stop :)

You're absolutely right about the ATC mode. It didn't really feel right reusing that setting for the hub location, especially for the reason that you gave. It's quite likely that I'll either add a separate airport code box in the hub section, or allow you to specify actual coordinates instead. Or maybe an option for either airport or coordinates? But perhaps anchoring it to an airport will be sufficient.

Actually, it may be better to make ATC and hub modes mutually exclusive. That would help prevent dormant ATC positions. In fact it may even be worth moving the whole ATC section out of JoinFS settings, because it's more of a temporary option and might be better suited to having its own view window for ATC management.

Re: scenarios. At the moment you will find the Auto Join can make you disappear at awkward times, such as when two hubs are close together. However, I have plans to address this overlapping and it will mean that you will always see everyone within your circle of activity. That'll basically be the next phase of the hub system.

Re: air display event. Is this an air display that you want everyone (public) to be able to view? I'm thinking that if it's a display where you want complete control over it, you're better off just using a private session. I suppose it already has a tick box, just untick Hub Mode, as long as those involved have the hub already added to their bookmarks. Alternatively use a different JoinFS client and provide that connection address to all those invited.

Good luck with ES. So close.

Peter

ATC Roo

Postby ATC Roo » Fri May 05, 2017 4:51 pm

Thanks Peter.

I knew you'd be all over it but thought it best to play devils advocate and ask the questions, before you implemented something else that might make it harder for changes in the future. :)

Dan-TXHills

Postby Dan-TXHills » Fri May 05, 2017 9:08 pm

Just to jump in with one quick question - if all of us have the Auto Join feature selected, originally all on the same hub, then one aircraft flies into an area that causes a connection to a different hub will that plane disappear from view of the original group. Another way to ask this - if I connect to one hub automatically will I see everyone else (in my selected range circle) regardless of the hub they connect to? (My guess - answer is no).

Dan

Peter
Site Admin

Postby Peter » Fri May 05, 2017 10:05 pm

Dan-TXHills wrote:Just to jump in with one quick question - if all of us have the Auto Join feature selected, originally all on the same hub, then one aircraft flies into an area that causes a connection to a different hub will that plane disappear from view of the original group. Another way to ask this - if I connect to one hub automatically will I see everyone else (in my selected range circle) regardless of the hub they connect to? (My guess - answer is no).

Hi Dan,

the answer is no at this moment in time, but the next phase of the hub system will solve that particular problem so you will see everyone within your circle of activity, subject of course to a maximum number of objects. For example, if there are 200 others around you then some trimming will need to be done by rejecting the more distant aircraft.

The way I'm designing the whole hub system means that it should be unlimited in scale both in terms of users and server space.

Peter

Return to “Discussion”