Removing hub from hub list

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
spokes2112

Removing hub from hub list

Post by spokes2112 »

Hi Peter,

Quick question. How can one remove a hub from the hub list? We've been on the same server for a few weeks now publicly but now that the Around the World Race is coming up we would like to get rid of the hub and just go with a bookmarked, IP that was the same as the hub. We've unchecked the hosts hub in settings prior to closing but it still shows up in the hub list. Maybe needs to propagate? It's been around 9 hours and still shows.

Does the password option of a non-hub work?

V1.1.4 stable worked beautifully! Player names showed up consistently but maybe that was a helicopter thing from the past weeks.

Thanks for the great work!
Cheers,
Roman
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Removing hub from hub list

Post by Peter »

Hi Roman,

All you need to do is uncheck the Hub Mode box, which it sounds like you've already done. The hub will still appear in the list but the status shouldn't be online. Can you confirm that? It then takes 60 days to drop off your hub list and it won't appear on the list of any new users. Perhaps the 60 days is too long, I might make it 7 or something like that. The thing is it may only be down temporarily for a few days so keeping it propagated for while prevents the list from becoming fragmented.

The password option still doesn't work full stop I'm afraid. I ought to disable it until it's working. But the password is intended for private servers anyway, whereas hubs are public.

Yes, I think there may still be a problem with the helicopter names, I saw that happen last week.

Thanks for the update,
Peter
spokes2112

Post by spokes2112 »

Hi Peter,

I seen you were up on Roos linux.. Sorry we were on TS, just got a mate running JFS but he couldn't join my hub or regular connection, will have to look into that. (that sucks not be able to comm)

I guess this may be an option so the IP isn't public anymore. Could he edit his hub IP to something that is not available? A couple digits off here and there? That way his public IP will not be transmitted over the hub list? Maybe even leaving it blank? He would like to get rid of the IP announcement is basically the deal.

Thanks,
Roman
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I could make it so that you can't bookmark or try to join an offline hub. That would effectively hide the IP address. But when you advertise your hub it's similar to telling everyone your telephone number. It's quite difficult afterwards to get everyone to forget the number.

If you're running a router and a firewall, I don't think you need to worry too much about someone knowing your IP address. First of all, anyone can very easily find out your IP address if your machines ever talk to each other. Also, a lot of ISPs will change your IP address regularly, so someone else will end up with your current IP address. In fact, your current IP address has probably been allocated many times before to all sorts of people.

But if it's a concern then I can try to minimize the availability of it.

Best regards,
Peter
spokes2112

Post by spokes2112 »

Peter,

Thanks for the info. We'll figure something out.

Have a good day!
Roman
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

Peter wrote:? It then takes 60 days to drop off your hub list and it won't appear on the list of any new users. Perhaps the 60 days is too long, I might make it 7 or something like that.
I agree that removing a hub after a period of time (shorter than 60 days) is a good idea. Seven days might be a bit short - for example, the AVSIM Saturday Hoedown - good to have that there so folks see this happens every Saturday. So, maybe after 10 days or 14 days.

Dan