Problem with .msi installer under wine (Linux)

Report problems with JoinFS.
markay

Re: Problem with .msi installer under wine (Linux)

Postby markay » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:18 pm

Thanks Roo. I may give it a go but it seems a backward step. Thanks for the input though.

VBV001

Postby VBV001 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:43 pm

Good evening,

I just started with JoinFS and because we have a server running on Linux I test everything out on Linux.
I having troubles with installing X-plane with Wine. Is always comes back that there is an error.

Can somebody help me with this issue. I am using the latest Wine.

Regards,

Cor

Popfly

Postby Popfly » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:50 pm

ATC Roo wrote:You'll need to run both Xplane and JoinFS under WINE. You won't be able to run Xplane on Linux and JoinFS under WINE.

This is very sad :( . I use Ubuntu 18.04 under which X-Plane 11 works well, and I was able with some fiddling with PlayOnLinux (which uses WINE) to get JoinFS installed and running very well! The settings panel is excellent which allows for the installation of the JoinFS plugin for X-Plane, which alas has only the win.xpl module. :cry: I then clicked the box in JoinFS settings to download and install VC_redist.x64.exe , but the link is broken. I thus found and downloaded VC_redist.x64.exe , but ... it won't install under WINE! :o I did an internet search and found that VC_redist.x64.exe is not able to be installed under WINE.

There appear to be a few others using Linux who would also like to use JoinFS, but installing both X-Plane and JoinFS using WINE or VirtualBox is not an acceptable method; it slows X-Plane. WINE converts Windows commands to Linux commands, thus the converted program actually uses Linux. So JoinFS works, and X-Plane works, but the plugin connecting them doesn't. What a shame.

There must be some achievable solution to fixing this so that the JoinFS plugin works in Linux. Is there another method besides using VC_redist.x64.exe? Would building the plugin that works in Linux be too difficult? I have seen others on this forum who have volunteered to help. Is this not a possibility? :?

Please ... :)

Bill

ATC Roo

Postby ATC Roo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:07 am

Being a Linux fan, I'm happy to look into it.

The only problems are.....
I dont own X Plane and I dont have much spare time.

So when I do come up with something, people would need to test and report back, which might make for slow progress.

Roo

Popfly

Postby Popfly » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:48 am

ATC Roo wrote:Being a Linux fan, I'm happy to look into it.

The only problems are.....
I dont own X Plane and I dont have much spare time.

So when I do come up with something, people would need to test and report back, which might make for slow progress.

Roo

Most excellent! Progress is the key word here, I'm thinking. :D

Bill

Return to “Bugs”