Problem with .msi installer under wine (Linux)

Report problems with JoinFS.
Flap

Problem with .msi installer under wine (Linux)

Postby Flap » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:16 pm

Hey, I would love to try out JoinFS on Linux, but I can't complete installation. I installed net framework 3.5 with Winetricks, but still get the error. In the manual wine is mentioned as system requirement, so I guess I did something wrong?

Although the installer doesn't work, that doesn't mean JoinFS itself doesn't work. So would it be possible to make a standalone version of JoinFS? That would make things a lot easier for Wine. Or maybe someone could install it under windows and share the JoinFS folder with me. If that works of course.

This is the error it gives me in the terminal and I included the error of the installer itself.

0009:err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"WixSchedInternetShortcuts" returned 1603
0009:fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 5)
0009:fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 5)
0009:err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"ExecuteAction" returned 1603

Thanks, Flap
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-01-08 14-00-45.png
Screenshot from 2019-01-08 14-00-45.png (18.72 KiB) Viewed 394 times

Peter
Site Admin

Re: Problem with .msi installer under wine (Linux)

Postby Peter » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:39 pm

Not all that surprised that there's a problem, especially with the installer. Looks like something to do with installing the shortcut. It's a shame that it terminates rather than skipping over that part.

Can't you just install JoinFS on a Windows machine and then copy the installed files as you need them. Effectively making your own standalone installer? When there's a new version, just copy the files over again.

Peter

Flap

Postby Flap » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:43 pm

I don't have a windows pc around sadly. But I will install a virtual machine of windows, that should be able to install JoinFS. Maybe I can even run JoinFS from the virtual machine to connect to X-plane Linux? I'm not sure how JoinFS 'talks' to X-plane, but if its over network, it should be possible.

ATC Roo

Postby ATC Roo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:41 pm

JoinFS will install under WINE with the JoinFS installer.

I do this on a Centos 7 system.

Although I use Playonlinux to run the installer and the App, I did originally just run it under WINE.

If you do run the installer through PlayOnLinux, you can use the Debug option to see where it gets hung up.

1.Install the appropriate dotnet (I use 4.5 off the top of my head).
2.Install the XPACK version of Simconnect.
I know JoinFS checks for Simconnect, but Linux likes to have it installed for some reason.
3.Install JoinFS.

Flap

Postby Flap » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:22 pm

I got JoinFS running now, I had to use Windows (virtual) to install JoinFS. But I copied over the folder and it runs just fine under Wine.

Although, I noticed that the JoinFS plugin only includes the win.xpl and not the linux version lin.xpl. So this plugin won't work at all, unless I run X-plane itself under Wine.

Is there a workaround for this? Maybe an other way to connect to the sim? Or is this the part where I need XPACK. I have never heard of this, but I will try to install it as well.

ATC Roo

Postby ATC Roo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:45 am

If JoinFS is running fine and you use Xplane, you won't need the XPACK version of Simconnect.

I never thought of simply copying the folders over.
That might save me some issues during the next update.

The issue you now have is that there is no linux Xplane Plugin (AFAIK).

You can run FSX under wine, so JoinFS under linux can work that way.

But without a lin.xpl, the linux version of Xplane and JoinFS won't work.

Flap

Postby Flap » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:49 pm

I can confirm that running X-plane under wine, it can connect to JoinFS. I just tested it with a X-plane 11 demo version.

I did notice some performance loss when running X-plane under Wine. The best solution would be to have a Linux plugin so I can run X-plane under native Linux. I don't know how much work that would be for the developer to compile, but its just a suggestion. I would love to help testing it.

ATC Roo

Postby ATC Roo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:29 pm

Good stuff.
Its nice to see another linux user in the mix.

markay

Postby markay » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:50 am

Linux user here too who would love to get JoinFS working on X-plane Linux version. Using Openesuse 15 here and X-plane runs like a dream.

ATC Roo

Postby ATC Roo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:23 am

Hi Markay

You'll need to run both Xplane and JoinFS under WINE.

You won't be able to run Xplane on Linux and JoinFS under WINE.

Both will need to be run under WINE.

Return to “Bugs”