Connection Problems and port numbers

Report problems with JoinFS.
picnic

Connection Problems and port numbers

Postby picnic » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:04 pm

Right this is going to get a little complicated. Tonight I've been trying to help one of our members connect to our club joinFS server. The problem was his Network button would go Green and he'd appear on screen in the SIM and be listed in Users and Aircraft, however under Users his connected column was Red. He reported he could only see the server and it was red and not connected for him. After a few seconds he'd drop off everyones screens but his network button remained green. This was repeatable. I looked in the Monitor window but there were no errors that hinted as to what was going on.

I then got this player to connect to my server and everything worked as expected, so the implication was something different between the 2 servers. My server is running 1.4.3 of joinFS on port 6113 our club server is running the stable (1.3.6) on port 6112 and development server (1.4.3) on port 6113. Could running 2 instances on our club server be causing this issue? We did all try connecting to the stable server on 6112 with the same result.

To add a little more detail I noticed that our problem player was always being reported as connecting on a random port number, not 6112 (default) or on a specific port when enabled in settings. Does this point to any particular problem? Quick question: does the local port become random if no specific port is specified or should it default to 6112?

Finally because I've got a port (6114) forwarded to my flight sim computer I got problem player to connect to my joinFS and he joined and stayed connected ok. Again pointing to a network funny to our club server.

P.S. All clients using 1.4.3

Peter
Site Admin

Re: Connection Problems and port numbers

Postby Peter » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:37 pm

I don't think running two instances on the same server will cause a problem, however, you need to make sure that your port forwarding is set up for both ports.

In your second paragraph it sounds like you have three clients running. Are all three client behind the same router? If so then you will need to use three separate ports and port forward each one to the correct machine.

The port is never random. If you do not specify a port then it will always default to 6112. Don't forget that a person's router might map it to a different external port, even though they are using 6112 on their machine.

Peter

picnic

Postby picnic » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Ok my server was on all the time regardless of where we were testing to, I have separate port forwarding rules for my server and client (server on 6113, client on 6114). Other than that all users were on separate networks. The club server is a dedicated computer rented from a hosting company. Didn't realise the router might mangle an outgoing port number like that. How's one expected to do port forwarding if the router is modifying the port number everytime the program is run? I must find out if our problem child is behind a carrier grade NAT, like what the mobile phone companies use, as I know the ISP have been using that more and more. Although still doesn't explain how he can connect to my server or client and not the club's server, does it?

Peter
Site Admin

Postby Peter » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:35 pm

If that person is able to configure a port forward then it should be using the specified port. You can check what external port their router is using by looking at the JoinFS user list in the port column. I would expect a configured port forward to use that port, that's how it ought to work, but it really depends on the router.

He should be able to connect to both of the servers. Something sounds wrong there. Is the club server running on the same local network as your other JoinFS clients? Are you sure you have specified the port forward to the correct IP address of the club server?

Peter

picnic

Postby picnic » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:28 pm

It was via the User's list that I was able to see the port numbers and when we specified a port it didn't end up using it. Still had one in the 40000 or 50000 range. The user is not competent enough to do port forwarding so that's not enabled in the router yet. Fortunately we live close to each other so I will pop round at some point if needed and have a play.

The club server, as I said, is a dedicated computer rented from a hosting company, so no clients on the same local network. I've had it confirmed the correct ports are forwarded (although if that was the forwarded port problem I'm surprised of the rest of us could connect to it)

Peter
Site Admin

Postby Peter » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:15 pm

It could be that his ISP is quite restrictive on its allocation of ports. I've seen that this can be the case in some places. Sometimes you have no control over the ports that go out over the internet. In that case, they won't be able to host any sessions, but should still be able to join other sessions, as JoinFS does some extra work behind the scenes to re-route traffic when full peer to peer connections can't be made.

Peter

picnic

Postby picnic » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:04 pm

But that's the problem, don't need him to host but he can't connect to the club's server and stay connected. I managed to get tracert done yesterday and his hops 2 and 3 don't return anything, timed out - no IP address. Once he gets passed that the numbers are similar to mine, we have he same ISP so that's not surprising. Because of those 2 timed out hops he always takes one hop more to reach the final destination. We are on different packages and I know mine will never have carrier grade NAT applied to it. His could well have, however I don't know enough to prove that from what I saw on the tracert.

We had a big test last night so this user joined my session, not the server's. Although I could see all 14+ planes in the session at least 2 never appeared in his Users or Aircraft lists in joinFS.

picnic

Postby picnic » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:55 pm

Sorry to bring this up again but I've just got back from visiting this problem system. He doesn't seem to be able to establish a stable connection to any server other than to ones I host at my house, as I said we're both on the same ISP although he is ADSL and I'm FTTC.

I've tried Port Forwarding but this has not helped.

I tried one of the open Hubs tonight and some times we could see lists of other aircraft but when we could there was no real information, the first few columns of the user view being empty.

Also there is nothing useful in the Detailed Monitor View/Log. The log said Disconnect but that contradicted the Main Dialog that still showed the Network button in Green. I took a screenshot and left it round his house :oops:

Is there some testing you could suggest so we can attempt to get to the bottom of this.

BTW still using 1.4.3

TIA

edakridge

Postby edakridge » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:14 pm

We had a similar issue at the USNVA a while back. I had the ports to my server computer set to the standard 6112-6122 and some players were reporting similar issues. Especially not being able to see anyone else. What I found out was that I also had these default FSX/P3D ports forwarded for my flight computer and that while most of the players were connected to the server, one or two would invariably end up connected to my flight computer and not be able to see anyone except me. I set the Network port to 6464 in the JoinFS settings and had all members connect to this port when joining. This solved the problem for us maybe it will help you.

BG2518-Bob

Postby BG2518-Bob » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:39 am

This all sounds so familiar.

Pre this version we had NO issues and now I have had to abandon JoinFS as it simply does not let our group access the server I put up no matter what I do.

Shame as I have supported this.

Return to “Bugs”