Dropped connections

Report problems with JoinFS.
canuck21a

Dropped connections

Postby canuck21a » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Hello,
We have been using JoinFS for a few weeks trying to weed out any issues.
This past weekend of use were on a group flight using V 1.2.8 or 1.2.10.
The hub was using 1.2.10 and had port forwarded port 6112 to DDNS as it has for several weeks now.
Connections are far and wide; South Africa, France, England,SouthEast USA, MidWest USA and Canada.

For the most part all connections were stable, save for one.
The one connection in question was from France, through a public WiFi to a laptop on a boat.
Most of those connected could see that plane and the plane was always in the whazzup file so it showed on my map.
Some saw the plane come and go but others seemed to have it in sight without issue.
The pilot in question said his network connection was always green.

In my case, as the only one connected through the LAN, when I connected the plane was there but in a matter of seconds it would disappear.
I could disconnect and reconnect and each time the plane was there for 5-10 seconds only to disappear.
This was repeatable.
On my client the connection showed a Nickname but no callsign and the connection was red (not connected).
This was also true for another external connected pilot who saw the same issue.

I am wondering if this is a result of his WiFi connection and whether or not there might be a remedy.
I know that he might not be able to port forward so that may be off the table.
I do see an option in the client settings for "Low bandwidth" .
Does this option provide for any potential improvement?

Am I having an issue with LAN versus external address that causes connections to come and go?
When I first worked with that pilot before the LAN fixes to JoinFS; that is, when I could use my external URL address, we did not experience these kinds of connection issues although it appeared that his connection (to me) would be flaky but settle down after a while.

Thanks for your help,
Darryl

P.S.
Note that I have now updated my hub and LAN clients to 1.3.3 . Not sure if that will have any effect.

Peter
Site Admin

Re: Dropped connections

Postby Peter » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:42 pm

Hi Darryl,

This does seem very likely related to the recent LAN fix that was made, since that's the only change I've made to the network code for a long time.

I take it you are all connecting to the same hub, which is on your LAN?

How do you have your own port forwarding set up? Since the change to fix the LAN bug, I would recommend having your flight PC use a different port number to the hub and then port forward both of those ports on your router to the corresponding devices. Is that how you have it set up?

Peter

canuck21a

Postby canuck21a » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Peter,

At the moment I use port 6112 port forwarded via the router to my external address for all external connections.
My group then simply uses the DNS URL to connect.

Internally I connect using port 6112 via the LAN IP address to the hub.

Are you suggesting that I choose a different port (maybe 6113) on my local LAN client to connect to the LAN hub and set the router to port forward both 6112 and the new, say 6113, to the hub?

What about the Low bandwidth client option? You did not comment on that.

Peter
Site Admin

Postby Peter » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:14 pm

No, you don't forward them both to the hub, you need to forward 6113 to your local LAN client.

For example:

Device JoinFS port IP Address
-------- ------------- ------------
Hub 6112 192.168.0.10
PC 6113 192.168.0.20

Router Settings:

Port Type IP Address
----- ----- ------------
6112 UDP only 192.168.0.10
6113 UDP only 192.168.0.20

That's the correct way to set it up with the current version.

I haven't yet seen the Low Bandwidth option fix any problem, it doesn't appear to make much of a difference. You could get the guy with the limited bandwidth that keeps getting dropped, enable it on his client. And see if that helps.

Let me know how you get on.

Peter

canuck21a

Postby canuck21a » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:12 pm

Thanks for the clarification Peter,

I have now changed the ports used by my test internal clients so that they all use a different port.
These udp ports are forwarded on return via the router to their respective local LAN addresses and ports.

I shall test and see how this setup functions.

canuck21a

Postby canuck21a » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Hello Again,

This last Sunday we had another group flight.
I had asked my friend in France to have his JoinFS up to date at v1.3.3 as well as to check the "Low bandwidth" client option.

I also had set myself up to have a unique UDP port that was port forwarded thru my router to the flight sim PC.

When the French connection came up there was no disconnect from my client.
Even though he had questionable WiFi connections that day that connection appeared green on my client and was steady.

Another participant did have trouble with that connection but that eventually seemed to get sorted out.

We shall carry on and see how things proceed.

Return to “Bugs”