Removed Node Error

Report problems with JoinFS.
G-MARK

Removed Node Error

Post by G-MARK »

Hi,

I have an issue which started many weeks ago when I first started using JoinFS and is still occurring with the latest (test) version (1.1.4). I'm trying to join the Digital Theme park server, and consistently I initially join with no problem but in exactly 30 seconds most of the nodes are removed. I'm using FSX-SE. Other multiplayer games (such as Rise of Flight or World of Warships) work fine. Even the MP built into FSX works.

I've tried disabling my anti-virus, my anti-virus firewall, my Windows 10 firewall and even my router's firewall. I've port forwarded 6464 (and 6112) in my router. Nothing helps.

I'm attaching a screen shot. Any thoughts would be much appreciated as I'm really wanting to fly with my friends again!
JoinFS node removed message.JPG
JoinFS node removed message.JPG (58.97 KiB) Viewed 3613 times
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Removed Node Error

Post by Peter »

Hi Mark,

That looks pretty odd. Next step is to watch what happens on the View|Nodes list. Check the Connected and Latency columns.

Peter
G-MARK

Post by G-MARK »

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the swift response. Below are two more screenshots. The first includes the Nodes view immediately after joing, which as you can see has 8 nodes (although the names are only populated for me and the DTP server).
The second shows the situation after 30 seconds, where the number has fallen to 2. NB the nodes are always removed after PRECISELY 30s.

I don't know how many people were actually on the server when I tried this just now. I could try again later this afternoon when I think there will be a mass flight happening, and I will also have TeamSpeak access to other people on the server.
JoinFS with nodes.JPG
JoinFS with nodes.JPG (82.4 KiB) Viewed 3601 times
JoinFS with nodes after 30s.JPG
JoinFS with nodes after 30s.JPG (103.21 KiB) Viewed 3601 times
Mark
G-MARK

Post by G-MARK »

OK, I've now got some more evidence. Just now I started FSX first, then JoinFS. There were 6 people on the Digital Theme Park server, including someone I was connected to on TeamSpeak.
He saw me join, saw I was listed as 'Connected' and saw what aircraft I was in. Then, as always, I was disconnected. But I managed to get a screenshot with an error message I've not seen before. See below.
Of course, this may not be what's causing the problem. It might just be to do with an object.
JoinFS with error messages.JPG
JoinFS with error messages.JPG (52.75 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

I experienced something that may be the same issue yesterday.

My hub had 15 people connected.
I joined from a LAN PC to the Internal IP of the hub.

15 users showed then after 10 seconds or so vanished leaving 2 users.

If I input my DNS address (basically going out to come back in, as my router supports NAT loopback) the same thing happens.

Where as if I connect to somebody else's IP that is already connected to my hub, all is fine and everybody shows.

All my instances of JoinFS use a different port all forwarded in the router.

I had 3 machines all running 1 JFS client at the time.
Only 1 was a hub, all were configured to use a different port.
No matter what way I connected the 2 non hub instances to the hub, the pilots vanished unless I connected via somebody else.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Roo,

Yes, connecting internally to a hub will have this effect with the current version. When you connect internally, the hub will just pass on your internal address, which will obviously fail when everyone else attempts to connect to it. I should be able to fix this.

I think Mark's original problem is that other nodes are unable to contact your client. They drop after exactly 30 seconds because that is the timeout for giving up a connection if no messages are received. I think that other error message about the string is just a coincidence. I'll have to add some more debug output to try and track that one down.

What sort of router are you using for your internet connection? Have you set a port in JoinFS settings or are you using the default? It could be that your router is allocating a new port when you connect outwards. Could we arrange a time via PM to meet up and try a few things out, that's probably the quickest way to sort it out?

Peter
G-MARK

Post by G-MARK »

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the response. Yes, very happy to meet up to chat in real time and try and sort this.
My router is a Technicolor TG582n supplied by Plusnet. I have port 6464 set in JoinFS, and have forwarded that port in the router.
I'll PM you.
Mark
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

Peter:

I have been experiencing some unusual behavior of JoinFS and could not quite put my finger on the problem. I believe what is happening may be a similar issue to the Removed Node Error described here. I know you are working on this (the change log for Test v 1.1.5 did not mention a fix at this point) so I thought I would add this in the event it provides further information.

Background: I am running 1.1.4 Stable version on both my flying computer and the computer where the session (as hub) was created. I tried connecting both via the local LAN address and using my external IP. Use of either connection route results in the same thing.

Yesterday I was connected to my own session (with the session created on a separate computer) - no problems when two or three of us were flying. Once others joined I was only able to see three other aircraft instead of the five others that were connected. The two I could not see could see the others and the three I could see could see me and the two I could not.

This is the log report - two nodes removed exactly 30 seconds after connecting:

2/5/2017 6:05:20 PM Started
2/5/2017 6:05:20 PM SimConnect 10.0.61259.0
2/5/2017 6:05:20 PM Microsoft Flight Simulator X 10.0.61637.0
2/5/2017 6:05:43 PM Joining network
2/5/2017 6:05:43 PM Connected to network
2/5/2017 6:05:43 PM Added node: 4944
2/5/2017 6:05:43 PM Added node: 45738
2/5/2017 6:05:43 PM Added node: 9056
2/5/2017 6:05:43 PM Added node: 60120
2/5/2017 6:05:43 PM Added node: 35689
2/5/2017 6:05:43 PM Added node: 30679
2/5/2017 6:05:44 PM Added node: 26756
2/5/2017 6:05:44 PM Added plane: AMER101, F100D Super Sabre 55-2918, as FA-18 Hornet 10
2/5/2017 6:05:44 PM Added plane: SB86, F-86F MIG POISON, as FA-18 Hornet 10
2/5/2017 6:05:45 PM Added plane: USAF, F15E_199, as FA-18 Hornet 10
2/5/2017 6:06:13 PM Removed node: 4944
2/5/2017 6:06:13 PM Removed node: 45738
2/5/2017 6:06:13 PM Removed node: 30679

Dan
G-MARK

Post by G-MARK »

Hi Peter,

Just to let you know that I have cured the problem completely by getting a new router. I was very lucky and got a brand new, sealed in box BT Home Hub 5 for £15 on Gumtree!

So thanks again for all your help in tracking down the source of the disconnection issue, and good luck to anyone else who still has issues.

(My old router is a Technicolor 582n, as supplied by Plusnet and other ISPs.)

Mark
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Glad you were able to solve the problem, Mark, albeit a last resort. Still, that's a very good price. :)

Peter
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

So - is this a local problem related to my router?

If so, why am I able to see some aircraft but not others whose nodes are removed?

Dan
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Dan,

The current version hasn't really been designed to mix connections both locally and outside of a router. So I'm not that surprised that you get nodes dropping occasionally. There is a fairly minor modification that I can make that should allow both internal and external connections to be in the same session, so I'll look at doing that.

Peter
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

Thanks Peter

I think that it will be fairly common for someone to run the session / Hub on a separate computer but within their own network including our group's Hub session. Since those running the session also use the connection to fly online they would not want to have only part of the traffic visible.

On the subject of Hubs - is there a plan (or, is it even possible) to have all the Hubs interconnected? So for example. If I am flying on my own Hub and there are folks flying on the Elite PremAir Hub and Roo's Hub and we all happened to be at the same airport then we would be able to see each other. This is not to any degree a priority (or for that matter, ever even needed) but since I know that some other systems do interconnect their "servers" I was just curious as to whether this was planned for the future.

Thanks again. Will watch the change logs for this issue. In the interim I presume that if I run the session on my flying computer vs. a second, separate computer, that this will not be an issue for me - correct?

Dan
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

When I was implementing the hub system, I considered having a combined network instead of them being separated so that when you join you are basically connecting to everyone else and it is effectively one big session. But I felt that risked things possibly becoming unmanageable whereas the current system can expand easily without any problems, the hub list just increases.

I will have a think about it though, because you're right, it would be great to see everyone (in the list) at the same, such as VATSIM, where it's basically one big persistent world. As long as I'm careful managing the positional data it might work quite well.

And that's right, if you fly on the same system as your hub, then that original problem isn't an issue.

Peter
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

Thanks for confirming that the issue with a separate computer running the Hub goes away if I use the same computer to both fly on and run the session.

Agree that there are pros and cons (or, maybe more accurately, risks and benefits) to linking all the hubs. Being able to see all the Hub sessions is a good step and I think that folks would rather have a stable system without lag or glitches then to be able to see everyone regardless of how they were connected. I was just curious if this was something that might come in the future. Others can chime in here but from my standpoint the folks that are flying are doing their own thing and don't need to be fully unified across all sessions. If someone wants to join a particular session they can and with the number of public Hubs that are available and visible folks can fly together wherever they want without the need to create their own session (and forward ports). If they happen to encounter someone else then no big deal. And if someone else is giving them "trouble" then thanks to your clever 'Ignore' capability the problem instantly goes away.

So - a low (or zero) priority from my standpoint. As I said, I was just curious as to whether this was something you had planned. Will watch for the modified model matching, enhancements in aircraft sharing and other goodies you already have planned and will test these and provide any feedback I can.

Dan