Connecting problem on W10

Report problems with JoinFS.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Connecting problem on W10

Postby Peter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:44 pm

Good question about the password. First of all the password is currently not fully implemented, so it won't work with the current version. Second, the password is functionally separate from the hub, so you could have any combination of those two. So really the question is does it make sense to have public hubs that are password protected? My initial thoughts on this were that hubs are designed to be publicly seen and available to join. If it was password protected that would imply that it is a private server and so it shouldn't really show up in the list of public hubs. It may also be annoying for people to view a list of online hubs only to find that half are blocked off. Of course I'm open to ideas, so is there a particular reason that you would like to be able to do that? Is it because you'd like to advertise it, for invite only, for example?

Peter

Giancarlo

Postby Giancarlo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:00 am

Same situation and same configurations, but no connecting issues with last upgrade version.
If there was a problem it's solved.
Ciao,
Giancarlo

Giancarlo

Postby Giancarlo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:22 am

Good to know that password is not fully implemented, ì was trying to use it.
I am part of an ìtalian virtual association and yes, for us a password could be useful.
Often we make flying tours with a fleet of aircrafts, pre-organized, with common fligth plans, procedures, schedules, etc. Someone joining from outside could be quite disturbing.
So, even not essential, in some cases a password could help.
Best
Giancarlo
PS may be a lock icon near the protected hubs?

Timonier

Postby Timonier » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:04 am

Giancarlo wrote:Good to know that password is not fully implemented, ì was trying to use it.
I am part of an ìtalian virtual association and yes, for us a password could be useful.
Often we make flying tours with a fleet of aircrafts, pre-organized, with common fligth plans, procedures, schedules, etc. Someone joining from outside could be quite disturbing.
So, even not essential, in some cases a password could help.
Best
Giancarlo
PS may be a lock icon near the protected hubs?

Hello Peter,

I like this proposal of Giancarlo. I would also request a "private HUB" for my Virtual Company. It should be useful too.
Thanks to consider our request ;)

Best Regards
Marc

Peter
Site Admin

Postby Peter » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:12 am

Hi Marc,

The question is, would it need to be a hub? You can simply set up a password protected private server and leave it running without having it enabled as a hub. So I'm just wondering what are the benefits of making it a hub?

Thanks,
Peter

Timonier

Postby Timonier » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:02 am

Hi Peter,

OK thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if it is possible, inside JoinFS, to implement a private server ? If yes I don't see what I must do.
I think the benefit with the HUB is that people who wants to be connected all together is very easy. Indeed they select the HUB name and then join the network.
Waiting for your further advices;)
Best Regards
Marc

Peter
Site Admin

Postby Peter » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:19 am

Hi Marc,

To set up a private server, all you need to do is run the JoinFS client on your server. Then to invite someone to join you just let them know the IP address (shown as My IP on the main window), or a domain name if you have one available. The invitee then runs their JoinFS client, opens the Bookmarks window and adds a new entry for the private server. Whenever they run JoinFS they can view the Bookmarks to see if the server is online, select it and click Join at the bottom of the window.

Once the password is implemented they will either be asked for the password or they will be able to set it as part of the bookmark.

Peter

Timonier

Postby Timonier » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:29 am

OK Peter,
Thanks for your explanations. I'll try that this evening.
Best Regards
Marc

Return to “Bugs”